Shevrin Jones is running for State Senate to create a path for prosperity for the people not only of Senate District 35, but all of Florida.
Why I’m Running
I’m running for State Senate to create a path for prosperity for the people not only of Senate District 35, but all of Florida. Since 2013, I’ve had the distinct honor to fight for the people of Florida House District 101 as their Representative and pass meaningful legislation despite being a member of the minority party. From advocating and procuring funding for youth mentoring, to championing legislation that increases transparency between the public and law enforcement, I am proud of our record.
There’s more work to be done. I firmly believe that in order to create real economic opportunity for all Floridians we must:
- Expand funding for public education to make sure our kids can compete in the 21st century economy.
- Expand access to quality, affordable health care, including reproductive health.
- Pass a $15 per hour minimum wage so that our workers can make ends meet.
- Pass common sense gun reforms to keep our schools and communities safe.
- Reform our criminal justice system.
- Protect our coastlines, water and other natural resources.
- Proactively address the threat of climate change and sea-level rise.
- Make smart investments in infrastructure.
- Protect the LGBTQ community from discrimination in housing and employment.
- Support our seniors to ensure they can retire with dignity.
As a Florida native, born and raised in Miami Gardens (Carol City), who has called West Park home for nearly two decades, I know firsthand the challenges that you and our neighbors face. Together, we can continue building the people-powered movement for equity in this state. Together, we can ensure Florida is a state in which all can thrive. I look forward to earning your support.
- Executive Director of Florida Reading Corps, an AmeriCorps Program that uses evidence-based reading intervention strategies to get children reading by the third grade.
- Former AP Chemistry teacher in Broward County Public Schools; led Florida Atlantic University High School to #1 in the state with a 100-percent pass rate on the Science End-of-Course (EOC) Exam.
- Founder of LEAD Nation, one of South Florida’s top youth organizations for leadership development training.
- Founder of the South Florida Youth Summit, the largest gathering of young people in South Florida.
- Miami-Dade public school system, American Senior High School
- Florida A&M University — Bachelors of Science degree in Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
- Florida Atlantic University — Master’s degree in Educational Leadership with a concentration in Higher Education
- Now pursuing doctoral degree in Educational Leadership.